MPI/R01 Development Award
The goals of the Cancer Center Pilot Program are to (1) foster outstanding new basic, translational and population-science –based research at UIC by supporting the development of preliminary data that can be used to launch new NIH or other externally-funded peer-reviewed cancer research proposals and (2) enhance interdisciplinary collaboration between investigators that spans across the Cancer Center as well as the institution.
Application CriteriaThe following criteria are applicable to all categories: • Only cancer-focused studies with high scientific merit will be considered. • At least one of the investigators must have a strong record of peer-reviewed funding. • Junior investigators must provide evidence of independence. • Only projects that will be ready to begin on May 10, 2019 will be considered with approved IRB/IACUC. • Projects are for one (1) year with an option to renew for an additional year of funding contingent upon evidence of significant progress during Year 1 and available funding. • Research aims in Health disparities encouraged. • Preference for applications that include 1 junior with a senior faculty member. • Use of RRC Shared Resources
STEP 1:Please complete the online application https://uic.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_doJW0651cudIRYV. The application requires a 2-page competitive Letter of Intent (LOI). The LOI should have 0.5” margins and no smaller than Arial 11 point font. It is due by 5 PM on March 1, 2019. The following information should be included:
- Preliminary title (page 1)
- Brief outline of the study plan (goal, hypothesis, specific aims, study methods to be utilized; page 1).
- Complete listing of the investigative team, academic titles, primary departments, and roles (page 2).
- Biosketches and Other Support documentation for Principal Investigators and Project Leaders.
STEP 2:To submit a full application for MPI/R01 Award: Please Scan and Upload a single PDF file that contains the following:
- Application Format:Use standard 11-point font, single space, and half-inch margins throughout the Consecutively number all pages.
- Face Page: Complete Face Page form (not included in the 5 page limit).
- Research Plans for Each Project (limit 5 pages).
- Specific Aims: State concisely the hypothesis to be tested and the specific aim(s) to be achieved during the one year
- Research Strategy
- Explain and document R01 readiness
- Scientific and technical merit
- R01 readiness
- Is the projected timeline feasible and well justified for R01 readiness? Does the project incorporate efficiencies and utilize existing resources (RRC, CCTS, Cancer Center, etc)
- Budget: Use PHS 398 from page 4 (http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/phs398.html) followed by a written Budget cap is $125,000 direct costs. Include direct costs only; there are no indirect costs associated with this grant. No faculty salaries should be included. Any faculty effort related to this award must be listed and supported by the respective department as cost share. By signing the cover page, the departmental business managers verify and approve this cost share. Salary support for laboratory personnel, post-doctoral fellows, study coordinators, etc. may be included. Include justification for all budget requests. Budgets should only include monies to be spent; include a separate page to describe the collaborators and their roles on the project. Note: effort for each team member must be articulated with a written commitment of departmental support for that effort. Every budgeted item must be classified into a category (e.g., supplies, patient care costs) with unit costs specified and defined. Equipment costing over $5,000 is not allowed. Travel expenses will only be allowed when necessary to carry out the proposed research project. The cancer center reserves the right to reduce award amounts.
- Description of RRC or Other Cores (limit 1 page total): Include a description of how each core will support projects
- Literature Cited: select only those references pertinent to the proposed research.
- List of Collaborative Publications from the Research Team.
- Description of How Program Milestones Will be achieved.
- Biosketches: Biosketches for all faculty team investigators must be Personal statements must include the specific role of each team member.
- Funding: $125, 000- two will be awarde.
- Deadlines: Full application due April 10, 2019. Notifications of awards will be made by April 26, Please note reviews will be conducted by an internal committee and an external reviewe.
- Submission: Please scan and upload full application here: https://uic.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0P37YsO66v0jSRf