DEADLINE EXTENDED: Deadline for internal applications is extended to midnight, January 6, 2021.
The Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation is inviting applications for the Damon Runyon Clinical Investigator Award. The award supports independent young physician-scientists conducting disease-oriented research that demonstrates a high level of innovation and creativity. The goal is to support the best young physician-scientists doing work aimed at improving the practice of cancer medicine.
The awardee will receive $200,000 per year, for three years. The Foundation will also retire up to $100,000 of any medical school debt still owed by the awardee.
- The applicant must have received an MD, DO, or MD/PhD degree(s) and be within the first five (5) years of their initial full faculty appointment (Cut-off date: July 1, 2016). Adjunct or acting positions are not eligible.
- Candidates holding or awarded R01s at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
- The applicant is required to apply in conjunction with a mentor who is established in the field of clinical translational cancer research, cancer prevention and/or epidemiology and can provide the critical guidance needed during the period of the award.
- Only one application will be accepted from a mentor per review session (including co-mentors).
Five (5) nominations per institution will be accepted. Please carefully review the guidelines and eligibility criteria at https://www.damonrunyon.org/for-scientists/application-guidelines/clinical-investigator
To be considered for nomination, please send the following information to Anthony Misiak at email@example.com in a single PDF by January 6th, 2021.
- Title page (Applicant and mentor’s name, title and department)
- Title and 2-page description of your research proposal including specific aims
- Applicant’s current NIH format biosketch or CV
- Mentor’s current NIH format biosketch or CV
If selected as the UI Cancer Center nominee, you will be required to submit the full application to Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation by February 1, 2021.