There are several types of cancer clinical trials. Each type of trial is designed to answer different research questions:
- Prevention trials: What approaches can prevent a specific type of cancer from developing in people who have not previously had cancer?
- Early-detection/screening trials: What are new ways of finding cancer in people before they have any symptoms?
- Diagnostic trials: How can new tests or procedures identify a suspected cancer earlier or more accurately?
- Genetics trials: Can “healthy” genes be used to treat cancer?
- Treatment trials: What new treatment approaches can help people who have cancer? What is the most effective treatment for people who have cancer?
- Quality –of-life and supportive care trials: What kinds of interventions can improve the comfort and quality of life of people who have cancer