Highlighting the achievements and activities of University of Illinois Cancer Center trainees. If you are a trainee with news to share, please email us at email@example.com with details and photos.
GEMS PhD Candidate, Sun Lab
- First author publication: Review article titled “Endosomal sorting protein SNX27 and its emerging roles in human cancers”, Cancers.
- Co-author publication: Research article titled “Intestinal vitamin D receptor protects against extraintestinal breast cancer tumorigenesis”, Gut Microbes.
- Awards received: University of Illinois Cancer Center Travel Award; UIC Chancellor’s Student Service Award; Chicago Consular Corps Professional Development Award.
- Scientific presentations: American Physiology Summit (poster); Digestive Disease Week (oral).
Cancer Center Trainee Clarissa Gomez graduated from undergrad this Spring and was the Honors College Convocation student speaker.
- Department: Mathematics, Statistics & Computer Science
- Degree: BS Mathematics
- Future training plans: Medical School
- How has your mentor supported your experience/achievements: My research mentor Cancer Center member Alexandra Naba, PhD, has been instrumental to both my personal and professional growth. Her support allowed me to learn about science and pursue exciting professional opportunities, and without her, I wouldn’t be where I am today!